The lost Bungie maps & 1.7

Talk about anything here.
Eddaweaver

The lost Bungie maps & 1.7

Post by Eddaweaver »

I've been going over the lost Bungie Myth II maps that there was talk about including with 1.7.

These three look good to go
* Boil and Bubble
* Leagues from Nowhere
* Phoenix Rising

With the others it is not so simple
* Cryptic Wightings
CW is spartan and lacks a pregame picture. There is a quasi-remake called "Gothic" but that is not from Bungie.
* Fosgarach Ruillick
There are 3 different plugins of Fosgarach Ruillick; the original called Chimera Multiplayer, another called Fosgarach_Ruillick_v2 with no obvious difference other than the second mesh is absent, and a third called Fosgarach_Ruillick_MWC_07 with an added dark mesh but the second mesh also missing. The first two have an issue where if you press special ablity with a thrall it commits suicide. The third's dark mesh's assassin gametype is broken.
* Creep On The Borderlands
Bungie intended for Creep to be one of the Myth II maps and there is a pregame for it in the tags. I think it is a good candidate for inclusion with M2 1.7. But each of the 3 ports to M2 that exist (Stoneheim, Badlands and Magma) are faulty in some way, although Badlands' version is the best. I fixed up the issues with the Badlands version and you can download the resulting plugin from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/83960468/Cr ... l.zip.html
While this this fairly acurate a new port made with the mesh conversion tool would of course be better.
* Going to Town
This map seems ok but it lacks a pregame picture

Post by Avatara »

Do you mind uploading Creep on the Borderlands to the Tain? Rapidshare files have a tendency to expire.
vinylrake

Re: The lost Bungie maps & 1.7

Post by vinylrake »

Eddaweaver wrote:...But each of the 3 ports to M2 that exist (Stoneheim, Badlands and Magma) are faulty in some way, although Badlands' version is the best. I fixed up the issues with the Badlands version and you can download the resulting plugin from here:...
Any chance you remember and could share the changes you made?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

heh, I love how there are like...4 versions of creep already...the magma is the most widely used an accessible.

Post by Avatara »

Death's Avatar wrote:heh, I love how there are like...4 versions of creep already...the magma is the most widely used an accessible.
Well, you have to consider that Creep on the Borderlands is the best map Bungie ever made, so it deserves the attention! :P

Anyway, the changes are included in the readme, and from what I've tested, it's indeed the most "faithful" one of the four.

Oh, the changes are (from the Badlands version):

* Several missing gametypes added.
* Enabled vTFL to work without the compatibility warning.
* Used the original global ambient sound from TFL Creep.
* Set the pregame picture to the Myth II styled one Bungie intended it to have.
* Used the correct TFL Creep media type (water) settings.
* Changed the map name back to "Creep On The Borderlands" as it is in TFL.
* Renamed mesh tag to appear in correct spot in list.
* Added missing headpost scenery.

I'm all for it to be added to the default map rotation (it's Creep, duh!), but I can see that it's somewhat redundant considering that most players have the Magma TFL Multipack and only TFL hardcore players would care about 100% fidelity.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Avatara wrote: and only TFL hardcore players would care about 100% fidelity.
Cap and Sharp :P
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

only the changes that appear on the map count......different pregames and stuff have nothing to do with the map itself.

ive loved creep since 97 and i belive the badlands one is really good.

differnt water wiggles.......i guess so heh
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Renwood wrote:only the changes that appear on the map count......different pregames and stuff have nothing to do with the map itself.
For gameplay yes, I would agree, but I always think higher of maps/plugins when they have good pregame and stuff like that. It makes it look like the complete package. For example plugin pictures. Of course I don't expect older maps/plugins to have plugin pictures, but newer ones I think its more professional-like to have them rather than not to. This is not to say that if they have this stuff they can have a bad map and still be thought highly about.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

only boil, phoenix and leagues should be included. Everyone has the other decent bungie maps (creep port etc..) Going to town and cryptic wightings are incomplete and should not be included.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

qwerty2 wrote:only boil, phoenix and leagues should be included. Everyone has the other decent bungie maps (creep port etc..) Going to town and cryptic wightings are incomplete and should not be included.
I agree, this is probably best route.

Post by Avatara »

Death's Avatar wrote:
Avatara wrote: and only TFL hardcore players would care about 100% fidelity.
Cap and Sharp :P
What about me? :cry:
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

I think going to town and cryptic should be included as well as they ARE bungie maps after all....Bungie intended to include them but didnt have the time.

-ren
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Avatara wrote: What about me? :cry:
Hehe, dare you question the legendary picky-ness of Cap and Sharp?!
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

qwerty2 wrote:Going to town and cryptic wightings are incomplete and should not be included.
Exactly what about theme is 'incomplete?' They look very playable to me. If it's just a matter of the scenery not being exactly right or a couple differences in the unit selection, is that really a big deal? When I think of 'incomplete,' I think of something that makes the map unplayable...like no units placed or something.
The cake is a lie.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Avatara wrote:Do you mind uploading Creep on the Borderlands to the Tain? Rapidshare files have a tendency to expire.
The ideal would be a fresh port with the conversion tool for the purpose of inclusion with M2 1.7. So I think putting another potentially redundant Creep into circulation should be deffered until we know what's happening.
qwerty2 wrote:Everyone has the other decent bungie maps (creep port etc..)
The issue with the existing Creep ports is they are all inadequate in various ways. If the version in the TFL Multipack had been accurate, then the situation would be different.

I don't think I'll agree that everyone has all the plugins. There is always at least someone who gets booted in a random game if a plugin (like the TFL Multipack) is turned on, which discourages hosts from using them. But if a map is included with the 1.7 patch then everyone will have it like how everyone has Gimble.
Going to town and cryptic wightings are incomplete and should not be included.
Could you tell us what you think is wrong with Going to Town other than the lack of a pregame picture? If that is the only issue, that is fairly easily addressed by either recompiling a new plugin or a coding hack. It at least superficially looks like a good map.

Cryptic Wightings I'm unenthusiastic about. But is there anything quantifiably defective with it other than the lack of scenery?

Fosgarach Ruillick's issues could be addressed by compiling a new plugin. It would add 7mb to the 1.7 download so I don't know whether that's acceptable to Magma.