Grave Tidings release and film contest

Talk about anything here.
A-Red

Grave Tidings release and film contest

Post by A-Red »

The Onyx Warlords Mapmakers present: Grave Tidings!

Grave Tidings requires Myth II 1.6 to play, due to some unique script that was crashing macs in older versions. All the coop players have the patch to play Mazz, so I suspect it won't be a problem.

As is traditional, there will be a contest for the first team to beat Grave Tidings on Legendary. This may happen quickly; I'm honestly unsure how this compares to the Mazz series in terms of difficulty, because the gameplay styles are quite different--there are fewer and weaker enemies, but the same holds true for the player force, units can be lost more quickly, and the pace is arguably faster at times. For me, part of the intrigue of holding a film submission contest is to see how tough this map actually turns out to be for a larger, highly skilled team. Winning films can be sent to 07adr AT williams DOT edu, or uploaded and the links sent to me in a PM.

Thanks to Doobie for the announcement!

A-Red

EDIT: Almost forgot! Some taster screenshots can be found here. These were provided by Tireces. I believe they were shot on Timid; you'll have to see higher difficulties for yourself :twisted:
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

Grave Tidings rocks...but damn Legendary is hard...I was playing with Graydon and poofy and we kept getting reamed by the huge hordes of ghast that kept appearing...along with the ghols and fetch that won't give the f**k up!!! Or...I just suck... :P We lasted a two minutes with 3 people...lol.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

My that's a lot of blood spilt in those screenshots :)

:: downloads ::
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Yet another competition for me to record in the Big List.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

That journeyman sounds familiar.

Good job on getting it out there dude, nice map! I'll have to have a bash at winning it with Cid I think.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

eh this is pretty hard.
Well we only tried leg with 3 to 6 players during 3 hours and didnt beat it.
But I like the feeling, the neverending hordes of darkness against this poor keny !
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Quite honestly I'd approach this map in the same sort of method as CP had people compete in mazz 6. Play and beat it on timid. Learn the tricks and turns of the map, learn the waves (although the orders they come in are quite random), learn the secrets, and steadily increase difficulty after each success.

Keep at it, GL.
Wismuth

Post by Wismuth »

Graydon wrote:steadily increase difficulty after each success.
This only works if the map was designed to be easy on timid and gradually harder. In that respect Mazz 5 and previous might be better examples than Mazz 6. On Grave Tidings is there any change in the monster count from timid to legendary? If not you're left with only the health bonuses inherent to timid and simple to help you. If there is a change in monster count, then I think that timid on this map is still too hard.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Wismuth wrote:On Grave Tidings is there any change in the monster count from timid to legendary? If not you're left with only the health bonuses inherent to timid and simple to help you. If there is a change in monster count, then I think that timid on this map is still too hard.
There's a significant difference in monster count on each increasing difficulty level. Timid was made to be beatable for a single skilled player, and it has been done several times.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Forget your normal difficulty setting mindsets people, expect whenever playing an Onyx creation (especially those by A-Red), that the difficulty will be as such

Timid = Simple
Simple = Normal
Normal = Heroic
Heroic = Legendary
Legendary = Godlike
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Uh Horus, I think you mean :

This one goes to 11.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

William Wallet wrote:Uh Horus, I think you mean :

This one goes to 11.
To quote Spinal Tap.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

The Elfoid wrote:
William Wallet wrote:Uh Horus, I think you mean :

This one goes to 11.
To quote Spinal Tap.
Oh geeze elf. I dunno what I would have done with out that citation.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Well, I didn't know what it meant.

But seriously, stop spamming this thread :P
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

What's highest difficulty anyone's known to have done it on?