myth2 1.8 suggestions

Talk about anything here.
dac

Re: myth2 1.8 suggestions

Post by dac »

first off, my commentary is not witty, however i get bored watching the games without being able to interact at all.

second, my logic is perfectly valid and you have not shown otherwise, you've just called it ridiculous without backing it up or forming any basis of reasoning behind your assertion.

third, it is whoring out my machine and i should be allowed to talk in a game on my machine if i want to.

fourth, the thread is titled "suggestions" not "expectations" so feel free to dictionary.com those if you're having an issue separating the two. magma can tell me to pound sand and there's not a damn thing i can do about it, because they're the gatekeepers of all myth2 related fixes/upgrades/downgrades/changes/etc. let's get into more semantics about how take2 really is the gatekeeper organization so we can continue flaming in this thread.

either way, not being able to talk makes me not want to neutral host for people. it would be more attractive if the ability to chat was added.

i think spread fire arrows could be amazing, as could dwarves all firing in unison a set distance away from themselves to stop a rush, or archers in a fight all targetting differnet archers at the same time (good luck dodging them all!)

i also think messing with the trades pregame could be fun, might ruin a few games but might make a few better too? who knows! god forbid anything be done to make the games more interesting and something differnet than what we've seen for 10+ yrs now!
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Dac, people dont like messing with the trades. Look at the Wintermap and Party Series HVVUUMP created. Nobody plays them yet they are perfectly balanced maps with new units. Why dont they play them cause they are creatures of habit. I dont think it would make a huge difference. But to do this you just need to load up the multi maps and add those units to the map and make sure the points are the same simple fix.

I agree with VR, If I did ever happen to play again in I really wouldn't want some buddy blabbin through the whole game. Happens enough as it is, not to mention Magma resources could be used better elsewhere.

I do have to say as forum judge, VR is winning this argument with concise and to the points rebuttals. I suggest shortening your posts Dac if you want to win this pissing match. You are going against someone who is thus far 3-0.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

dac wrote:first off, my commentary is not witty, however i get bored watching the games without being able to interact at all.
thank you for clarifying. basically this is why i think your 'logic' is ridiculous, you are asking magma to add features because you 'get bored' hosting a game when you aren't allowed to talk.

if you don't want to 'whore out your machine' fine, don't do it. after all, it is your party, you should be able to cry if you want to.
dac wrote:...or archers in a fight all targetting differnet archers at the same time (good luck dodging them all!)
I thought if you selected all your archers and then shift-clicked on the enemy unit you want them to attack they would pick their own targets. (not at a comp to confirm, but I thought it shift-click turns on auto-targetting of a group of enemy units) (of course you can also just double-click to select all archers then click-drag-n-release in the direction of enemy units and archers will auto target any units that get in range - though I realize that's not exactly what you are asking for and I am sure you knew that)
dac wrote:god forbid anything be done to make the games more interesting and something differnet than what we've seen for 10+ yrs now!
Yeah, cause everyone knows I am the king of unimapping and never want to play anything different. Give it up.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

found a reference in a couple of mything.org documents to the archer targetting i mentioned above:

"I find it best to shift click with archers because clicking on one unit is rather stupid. That has all your archers concentrate on one point and given the inaccuracy of archers they will probably miss. Shift clicking fires arrows all around and into the group of warriors and usually leads to more hits. Not only that but it causes damage to many of the warriors in the group giving your warriors a slight advantage in any of 27 fights they may be engaged in. I have even been experimenting with ground clicking and it appears more effective then shift clicking. However this requires your constant attention because archers don't continue ground clicking until you tell them to stop and the ground click must be aimed manually. "

--

[Note from Cantrip: You needn't shift click or use the move forward trick. After your units are in the proper formation, spacebar them or put them in guard mode. As the enemy units reach yours, merely gesture-click them in the direction they're already facing, and their stop/guard orders are cleared, leaving them free to attack the nearest enemy. Excellent for those enemies that mix their meelee units among several different players, which would normally cause your own units to moonwalk.]
dac

Post by dac »

LOL OK!

if you dont want somebody talking in your games then dont do it.

after all why give that ability to the host? seriously?

and deq i dont care if you judge vr to be 240932523-0, its still retarded to say that a host should NEVER have the ability to control such a thing.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Cool it. Both of you.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

I am only judging, cause every thread in this forum turns into a pissing match(example this one), I can't help that VR pwnz all you guys. I am an unbiased judge too.

VR you are 3-0 due to forfeit this round nice job, you win the golden keyboard.

I think its retarded to say an observer host SHOULD have the ability to have control such a thing. Other games that I am familiar with have spectator modes do not have this ability.

Everyone has an opinion... you just got mine, if you disagree tough shit, your not going to convince me by writing an "Observer control vs non observer control" dissertation that gives the bible a run for its money in length.

Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it and your opinion.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Soooo usually when I put a warning in a thread, you should stop fanning the flames. Thanks a bunch!

-DA
dac

Post by dac »

lol @ all of you

I should at least thank vr and deq; this is making my boring day a little more fun.

I feel like we're arguing over ice cream flavors, where you offer a kid chocolate or vanilla and suddenly are met with objections like "vanilla shouldnt be offered because chocolate is clearly superior" and "chocolate is what the kid is used to eating so we should just stick to it" and such. Personally I prefer vanilla, but far be it from me to deviate from others' preferences!

Magma can consider my suggestions, or not! in the end vr and deq, its up to them to decide if its done or not. I still see absolutely no logical reason not to add a checkbox to make such a thing possible, especially since changing game settings could potentially "unready" people in a game if something about the game changes to which they may object!

Actually, I think as long as we're stopping people from being able to cheat with a gametype we should disable the "persistent ready" options in the game. I mean what if somebody goes into a game expecting a ctf gimble and some jerk host switches it to raid then starts the game? THEN the player drops saying "im not playing this garbage" and loses points which could somehow be dispersed among the remaining players. Let's get rid of that too in the name of stopping cheating!

edit: feel free to lock it if you think it's getting out of hand da, personally im enjoying it :)
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

DA i started my post before your's it took me awhile to translate my post to english.

DA... he'll F--- you up.

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... ads/da.jpg
dac

Post by dac »

deq i know you're fully ESL but you really need to consider getting a new translator. none of what you're saying comes across in comprehensible english, i believe the logic of your supposed "arguments" are being lost in translation, I can't see any other justification for what you post to make so little sense :)
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Dac I'm going to make you a signature for this forum. It will say.

DAC - I get the Last word.

Or

DAC - I AM THE LAW.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Myth 2 1.8 suggestion:
An automatically enlarged minimap. I often forget / don't have planning time to enlarge it while it's pretty handy. Would be handy if you could set a preference to do this for you without thinking.
dac

Post by dac »

OMG KILLERKING NOOOOOOOO THAT WOULD LEAD TO CHEATING OMG OMG OMG

no really though, i knew i forgot to mention something i was brainstorming a few days ago and this was it. it would be awesome if the minimap could remember how big it was in between games, since shift fkey remembers between games!
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

killerking wrote:Myth 2 1.8 suggestion:
An automatically enlarged minimap. I often forget / don't have planning time to enlarge it while it's pretty handy. Would be handy if you could set a preference to do this for you without thinking.
This was mentioned on the private board weeks ago, by me, so I fully support the above post.