Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Talk about anything here.
adrenaline

Re: Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Post by adrenaline »

Here's a change I'd love to see...

Larger fonts/higher DPI(?) for larger resolutions. Currently playing at 1920x1080, and the text is sooo small. Unit trading window is tiny... makes it difficult to trade fast. Because my desktop is at 1920x1080, I have to play at that resolution or myth is windowed... which i can't stand. Anyways I can lower the in-game resolution to make text larger without it being windowed? I DO like being windowed in the lobby though... just not in game.

A larger font option would be amazing.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I would second this, and can't believe I didn't think to mention this. ideal would be if the unit trading window were a resizable window like the overhead map,though i realize it isn't a static graphic so would probably induce several migraines for anyone trying to make that work.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Larger fonts/higher DPIs would require the Myth interface to be redone as well since everything except the ingame status/control bars are set to a static 640x480.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Why would it require the entire interface to be redone? The unit trading display is obviously using a font, the numbers aren't bitmapped. I can see how the existing graphic 'box' wouldn't be large enough but maybe it could be changed from a static box to a dynamic box like the top and bottom bars are. For that matter the unit trading box wouldn't have to have the same graphic corners and background and boxes, it could be a more minimalist text on different colored background that would be much easier to render dynamically.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

The top and bottom bars are actually also static, except that they were made for multiple resolutions, which is quite an ordeal to do when you take into account all the difference resolutions Myth supports.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

so uhh... what kind of timeframe we looking at for 1.8?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hopefully in time for the next MWC I guess :wink:
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

adrenaline wrote:so uhh... what kind of timeframe we looking at for 1.8?
Yeah I guess ultimately it just depends on what features people want in it vs. annoyance of updating more often, etc. Is there a "killer feature" that you're particularly looking forward to in 1.8?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

not really... just wondering.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

adrenaline wrote:not really... just wondering.
Fair enough. It has been a while since 1.7.2 and there is indeed some cool stuff in 1.8 so I'm inclined to want to release earlier rather than later and then continue working on 1.8.1 or 1.9 or whatever. As Mel said though in any case, hopefully (well) before the next MWC so you can at least have fixed stats and a bunch of the other relevant features.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I'd vote for a release a year. Just pick a time of year way ahead of time and whatever is done and tested gets rolled into that release, if it's not ready it waits till the next release. If it's not 'worthy' of a major digit upgrade (1.7 to 1.8 ) just call it 1.75 or whatever. Just be consistent.

That way there''s not as much uncertainty or wondering when the next version is coming out, and it stops the feature scope creep because there's always 'one more feature' someone wants to sneak into the current version that's 'almost ready' to be released.

I know I am not telling you anything devs don't already know, just mentioning it for the record.
Last edited by vinylrake on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

How about, instead of adding "features" you fix some bugs ?

This for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVw15bCk ... ure=relmfu
or also the annoying thing when you order 2 ghols to pick 2 different pus pieces in the same wight remain, sometimes a ghol bumps into his fellow, and then he stays still, not picking the puss piece. I'm always mad when it happens, and it's clearly a bug !
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Enculator wrote:How about, instead of adding "features" you fix some bugs ?
There are several old bugs and many of them do get dealt with. Every update includes bugfixes. Some old bugs just get pushed aside for a later time or else the devs would never finish.
Myrd wrote:Yeah, it's a known bug. If you're a mapmaker there's a flag to set to fix it for new maps ("object cannot be deflected"). The bugfix is not on by default because some maps/plugins depended on it...
Enculator wrote:...also the annoying thing when you order 2 ghols to pick 2 different pus pieces in the same wight remain, sometimes a ghol bumps into his fellow, and then he stays still, not picking the puss piece. I'm always mad when it happens, and it's clearly a bug !
Known old bug, but might be a tricky one to fix.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

adrenaline wrote:Ahoy magma. Not sure what the status of the next patch is, but I'd like to reopen the topic of suggestions for change. I have a few ideas I think are worth consideration.

2. more intuitive unit formations. for example: when your bowmen line becomes out of formation, and you try to reform them into a staggered line... the units should logically move to the closest spot to them in the formation. however, this rarely happens. instead you usually see this happening:
with one (or more) unit(s) going from one end of the previous line to the other end. surely there is a way to fix this! :)
Is this not going to be addressed in 1.8? Is it something that would be too difficult and cause other problems? Just wondering what was going on with it. I was looking forward to this being fixed.

Thanks
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Hi guys and nice thread dren!
Since I just installed this, I wonder how do you toggle-on the mighty zoom?
You guys should also add more interfaces like green beret, chimera et. I have never used the mazzarin's ui that you put in but its good.
Also the active tagset feature in new game is pretty useless in case of many 3rd party ww2, sf2 maps. The plugin developers should rewrite the codes or maybe magma needs a trick?

Anyhow good luck with rectification of 1.8 beta. Hoping to see the final version soon.