Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Re: Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Post by GodzFire »

Lag freeze out on a Mazz game. Log and film included.

Log - http://pastebin.com/qhK59zQ7
Film - http://www.sendspace.com/file/pi36bu
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

GodzFire wrote:Lag freeze out on a Mazz game. Log and film included.

Log - http://pastebin.com/qhK59zQ7
Film - http://www.sendspace.com/file/pi36bu
Just to clarify, this is an actual crash and that log is a crashlog. Lagging out isn't a bug (necessarily) but crashing is.
Wismuth

Post by Wismuth »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Dunno if this has been addressed, but when I'm using this patch, and I try to T-click an enemy target, it takes a couple of tries to do so. It's like the click isn't registering quickly enough when I hit T and when I click. Takes a couple of seconds to let it set and a couple clicks for the T to work. Also notice similar clicking issues when trying to click on units and select them with clicking.
+1 on what KROK said. I also had problems selecting units a few times (on Windows XP). The problem is rare so it might be hard to reproduce. Maybe it only occurs in multiplayer during a network hiccup.

Could it be due to the switch from GetAsyncKeyState to GetKeyState? I looked online and the description of GetAsyncKeyState says "Determines whether a key is up or down at the time the function is called, and whether the key was pressed after a previous call to GetAsyncKeyState." The bold part doesn't appear for GetKeyState, but it looks like an important feature to me.

The documentation for GetAsyncKeyState says to use GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON) to get the button mappings. So to achieve what you want, it might be better to use a combination of GetAsyncKeyState and GetSystemMetrics, instead of GetKeyState.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Wismuth wrote:+1 on what KROK said. I also had problems selecting units a few times (on Windows XP). The problem is rare so it might be hard to reproduce. Maybe it only occurs in multiplayer during a network hiccup.
Could it be due to the switch from GetAsyncKeyState to GetKeyState? I looked online and the description of GetAsyncKeyState says "Determines whether a key is up or down at the time the function is called, and whether the key was pressed after a previous call to GetAsyncKeyState." The bold part doesn't appear for GetKeyState, but it looks like an important feature to me.
It couldn't be that (the bolded bit), because the myth code has never checked the least significant bit, which is what carries that info. I suppose there could be other subtle differences between those two functions though.
Wismuth wrote:The documentation for GetAsyncKeyState says to use GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON) to get the button mappings. So to achieve what you want, it might be better to use a combination of GetAsyncKeyState and GetSystemMetrics, instead of GetKeyState.
Indeed, this is the simple workaround I referred to in my last post :) It has already been implemented and will be in the final.
Welly

Post by Welly »

To Myrd and Melekor: about the raging lag carnival I was reporting, I think I've solved the problem. The beta changes my default preferences for some arcane reason that I didn't know about earlier. It increased my "tex. cache" (texture?) insanely. Apparently too much for my RAM to handle. I returned it to the old value and this seems to fix it. I feel bad for the poor fools who won't figure that out and refuse to keep the update in frustration.

Also, what is the "poweruser.txt" file that my myth log is searching for? Now I have text file envy.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Welly wrote:To Myrd and Melekor: about the raging lag carnival I was reporting, I think I've solved the problem. The beta changes my default preferences for some arcane reason that I didn't know about earlier. It increased my "tex. cache" (texture?) insanely. Apparently too much for my RAM to handle. I returned it to the old value and this seems to fix it. I feel bad for the poor fools who won't figure that out and refuse to keep the update in frustration.

Also, what is the "poweruser.txt" file that my myth log is searching for? Now I have text file envy.
Glad you figured out the issue! Indeed 1.7.2 does try to default to a higher value for the texture cache size based on your available RAM. I guess there's an issue that it sets it too high. How much RAM does your system have? Can you check how high you can set your texture cache before you start seeing performance problems?

As for poweruser.txt, it's a text file you can place in your preferences folder where it is possible to specify some advanced settings. More details on what can be set there are available in the 1.7.1 Read Me: http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2 ... _1.7.1.pdf
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Welly, did you happen to read our replies to your first post? I actually suggested exactly the solution you described.

In order to solve the problem in general, we could still use some more information (See links below). Also about the frost lock thing.

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... =15#p50929
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... =15#p50931
Welly

Post by Welly »

Melekor wrote:Welly, did you happen to read our replies to your first post? I actually suggested exactly the solution you described.

In order to solve the problem in general, we could still use some more information (See links below). Also about the frost lock thing.

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... =15#p50929
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... =15#p50931
Myrd I'm not telling you how much RAM I have, I don't want to get laughed at I'm sure everyone here is a nerd about their RAM size. Lol. I'll just tinker with it until it starts slowing down to figure out the best number.

Melekor I forgot your post because at the time I didn't know what the spunkshot a texture cache was. Didn't read carefully enough I guess, my bad. And about the Frost lock thing, it's not appearing anymore, now that I have changed the cache for the new beta. Apparently it was just my computer diarrhea-ing itself since it was being overwhelmed at the time.

On a separate note: can you guys make underwater units click-able in Films? That would actually be pretty neato.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

you might be surpised, i think there's quite a few people still playing on pretty old hardware. until last summer i was playing on a G3 mac, which came out in I think 1999.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Welly, 4 posts from Myrd and myself later, you still didn't give us any of the info we asked for. It's almost like you don't actually want us to fix these problems. You do want them fixed though, right?

No one is going to laugh at your RAM size, and if someone does, who cares? I think you're exactly wrong about people here being hardware nerds - the reality is that the playerbase of a 13-year-old game has significantly older hardware than average.
Jagman

Post by Jagman »

Hey guys,
I tried to run a few coops under DirectX10 with 1.7.2 Windows Modern, they all crashed before they loaded. Hard crash to desktop. Three logs but they're all saying the same thing (it seems)
Cheers :)

Log 1:

Code: Select all

2011-01-23 23:28:09  
Myth II Build 368 running under Modern Windows 6.000000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
	Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
	Found 1 to use
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
  Patch 1.2
  Patch MariusNet
  Patch 1.3
  Patch 1.4
  Patch 1.4 Interface
  Patch 1.5
  Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at myth.mariusnet.com:6321...
  Connected.
Running DirectX 10/11 at 1280 x 800
Starting mesh "Crow's Bridge" with 2 plugins...
  Magma - The Fallen Levels v2
  Patch 1.5 Unity
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Myth Crashed (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Attempting Stack Trace...
 0 0x0048fa24 ?draw_pending_vertices@dx11_vertex_ring_buffer@@QAEXPAUID3D11DeviceContext@@@Z + 0x006c (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_vertex_ring_buffer.cpp:80)
 1 0x004848a5 ?clear_backbuffer@dx11_context@@QAEXXZ + 0x003b (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:407)
 2 0x0048fe9a _clear_dx11_backbuffer + 0x0016 (myth2code\hardware\directx11\render_dx11.cpp:187)
 3 0x00466363 _clear_backbuffer + 0x009d (myth2code\render\render_rasterize.c:454)
 4 0x0046ab87 _initialize_rasterizer_for_new_map + 0x0019 (myth2code\render\render_rasterize.c:210)
 5 0x00460cb9 _initialize_render_for_new_map + 0x0027 (myth2code\render\render.c:96)
 6 0x004c56f0 _initialize_myth_for_new_map + 0x0340 (myth2code\myth.c:469)
Stack Trace Complete
Recording Buffers Flushed
Saved Recording To 'Crash- Jan 23 23.53.12 2011'
Log 2:

2011-01-23 23:54:09  
Myth II Build 368 running under Modern Windows 6.000000 ----------------------------------------------
Scanning for software devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
	Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
	Found 1 to use
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
  Patch 1.2
  Patch MariusNet
  Patch 1.3
  Patch 1.4
  Patch 1.4 Interface
  Patch 1.5
  Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at myth.mariusnet.com:6321...
  Connected.
Starting mesh "Crow's Bridge" with 2 plugins...
  Magma - The Fallen Levels v2
  Patch 1.5 Unity
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
 0 0x0048fa24 ?draw_pending_vertices@dx11_vertex_ring_buffer@@QAEXPAUID3D11DeviceContext@@@Z + 0x006c (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_vertex_ring_buffer.cpp:80)
 1 0x004848a5 ?clear_backbuffer@dx11_context@@QAEXXZ + 0x003b (myth2code\hardware\directx11\dx11_context.cpp:407)
 2 0x0048fe9a _clear_dx11_backbuffer + 0x0016 (myth2code\hardware\directx11\render_dx11.cpp:187)
 3 0x00466363 _clear_backbuffer + 0x009d (myth2code\render\render_rasterize.c:454)
 4 0x0046ab87 _initialize_rasterizer_for_new_map + 0x0019 (myth2code\render\render_rasterize.c:210)
 5 0x00460cb9 _initialize_render_for_new_map + 0x0027 (myth2code\render\render.c:96)
Stack Trace Complete
Saved Recording To 'Crash- Jan 23 23.54.44 2011'
Log 3:

2011-01-23 23:56:00  
Cannot set exclusive mode. Myth II, Fear, or Loathing is already running, or the Myth directory is marked read-only.
Starting mesh "The Stair of Grief"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Stack Trace Complete
Saved Recording To 'Crash- Jan 23 23.56.19 2011'
Welly

Post by Welly »

Melekor wrote:Welly, 4 posts from Myrd and myself later, you still didn't give us any of the info we asked for. It's almost like you don't actually want us to fix these problems. You do want them fixed though, right?

No one is going to laugh at your RAM size, and if someone does, who cares? I think you're exactly wrong about people here being hardware nerds - the reality is that the playerbase of a 13-year-old game has significantly older hardware than average.
It's flipping already fixed, read my last post! What are you talking about?

Anyway I just PMed Myrd about it, the RAM info on my mac Mini is 1 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Sorry if it wasn't clear, what I'm talking about is fixing the general problems in the game code that led to your poor experience. Your individual issue was resolved, but the bigger issue has not been. The line may blur sometimes, but in the end this thread is about bug reporting and getting bugs fixed, not about solving individual tech support issues.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Welly wrote:Anyway I just PMed Myrd about it, the RAM info on my mac Mini is 1 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
And you think we were gonna laugh at that? Why? There are people still running PPC G4 Macs on 10.4; it doesn't matter to anyone.
It's flipping already fixed, read my last post! What are you talking about?
I don't want stir the pot, but there's no reason to be so rude and disrespectful to the Devs, especially since they are trying to help you out in their spare time.
Welly

Post by Welly »

GodzFire wrote:I don't want stir the pot, but there's no reason to be so rude and disrespectful to the Devs, especially since they are trying to help you out in their spare time.
It's not rude or disrespectful. There are no larger issues here. It was a simple matter of the texture cache was too large by default in the new version. When it was returned to the original figure, all the problems completely disappeared. No frost lock weirdness (as I already said), no crippling lag, no 40-second wait for films to end. I cannot upload a mythlog file like was asked back on Jan 18 because in order to do so, I'd have to mess up the texture cache again and sit through a lag carnival. And uploading the film would be a waste of time because the frost lock issue isn't visible anymore.

It would be like seeing blood all over my arm, asking for help, Melekor kindly points out a barb jutting out of my skin, and I pull out the barb. Then Melekor turns around and insists that I stab myself again with the barb just to verify if the barb was causing the original bleeding by observing if blood would come out the second time. :P