Official 1.7 Public Beta Bug Reporting Thread

Talk about anything here.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hi ducky, thanks for the report.

What video card are you using?

Are you running the UB or the PPC build? PPC build is recommended for you as you have a G4.

Running 1.6 on the same settings (resolution,etc), what kind of fps are you getting?

Interestingly most of the reports of slowness come from configurations similar to yours. Hopefully we will be able to pinpoint the problem.
Mercanthyr

Post by Mercanthyr »

no everything is just fine in 1.6. I just did a mariusnet test of 1.7 where I hosted a game I joined by myself and it worked.

I may have to check out joining someone else's game but there aren't a whole lot at this time of morning.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Mercanthyr: Just as a test, can you try using a different rendering option (for example Software Rendering), and see if the problem still exists for you?
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

I duno if it has been discussed before but :

With both "landscape filtering" and "anistropic thingy" checked, the game instantly crashed during loading (didnt even see the load screen). It was a multiplayer game.
Then without those box checked, everything worked fine.
Then I made a little test and played solo with both box checked, and I could play properly..

Also, once, the game booted me to windows when I wanted to modify my preferences..

I'm using Win Xp, I have the latest graphic drivers from nvidia, my video card is a GeForce 9600, and the cpu an Athlon 64 5600+.

I duno if it helps, but at least I tried !
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Were you using OpenGL? If so then it was "Landscape Textures" not what you said. The reason is because with that box checked (only in OpenGL), the game is looking for a patch plugin that hasn't been released yet. So for now don't have it checked.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'm not so sure that's accurate. Both Detail Maps and Detail Textures are included that unreleased patch. If you have the Landscape Textures and Anisotropic Filtering ticked, and there's no detail map and no detail textures present for the map to load, it should load without detail textures.

I can only logically see a crash if the detail maps were somehow present, but the textures themselves were not.

Enculator: I've got the same graphics card as you I believe, and have not experienced these problems... though I'm running a mac system side. Only commonality is the graphics card, however, the issue is graphics related so I'm particularly curious.

When you say it crashes, do you mean you hard crash to desktop? Or do you crash to the main menu of M2?

If you're able to replicate the crash, could you take a look at your 'myth_log.txt' and see if there's any potentially useful information there?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Oops, yea what Gray said. What I described only happens if you had some plugin with detail maps looking for the detail textures on the patch plugin that isn't ready for release yet.
ducky

Post by ducky »

This computer has a GeForce FX 5200, and I get about 15-50 fps on 1.6 . However, I was running the UB build, giving PPC a run now!

EDIT: yea, ppc is about the same result.

edit2: well I never really looked at fps much with 1.6, because it never really felt noticeably un-smooth, but apparently it jumps around quite a bit, and I presume it varies from map to map. will toy with it later.

but on the whole, the fps experience for 1.6 seems to be good for me.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I went ahead and made some test runs with a Dell Inspiron 530.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.67 GHz
4 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Graphics

1440x900 resolution for all in Willow Creek

1.6 Direct3D = at start 60-64, same after moving away with a few times going to 30s and 70s
1.6 OpenGL = at start 90-106, after moving away 128-180

1.7 Direct3D = at start 39-60 mostly near 60, after moving the same with mostly near 60 more so
1.7 OpenGL (Dtex OFF)= at start 60-74, after moving 80-100 but goes down near models at times 60s
1.7 OpenGL (Dtex ON) = at start 34-36, after moving went to 37-77 sometimes staying in 50s or 70s or 30s (near models)

Looking at the Direct3D results it looks like I may have Vsync on but I did not check.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

been away a few weeks.

is there any internal way to set cpu affinity? i know there are 3p apps that could do this but since myth is one of the few games that requires it, any way to incorporate that into the patch?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

1.7 Beta does already set affinity to one core.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

wow. my bad. switched my shortcuts and didn't notice that. nice. thx!
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Is this some kind of bug in the game?
At first I thought it may be a fault with Phoenix Rising, but it seems to be related to Myth itself as it can be seen on other maps like Venice.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Yes, it's clearly a bug, thanks for reporting.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

I get terrible fps lag with 1.7, between 10-20 normally, a lot worse over water.

using a g5, geforce fx 5200 running the universal build.

I get ~40 fps with the same settings in 1.6

Edit: this may or may not be relevant but the under the activity monitor I am seeing:

UB 1.7.9 ~80% CPU usage 9 threads ~49 real memory 242 virtual
UB 1.6 ~80% CPU usage 7 threads ~46 real memory 237 virtual
what the hell is the pword to my old account?