Marathon Anywhere - Release Candidate Posted

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Good stuff - I'll definitely check everything you outlined to see what's up.

With those other plugins, since they're solos they won't be substituting some units since the Marathon AW plugin is for multiplayer. I'll put them on the list for the SoloAW conversion though, as that will be a whole different beast.
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

Baak wrote:With those other plugins, since they're solos they won't be substituting some units since the Marathon AW plugin is for multiplayer. I'll put them on the list for the SoloAW conversion though, as that will be a whole different beast.
Oh, I know, but I love shoe-horning plugins into single player and cooperative maps.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Baak

Post by Baak »

I haven't played regular Marathon enough to know, but do the S'phts normally "flinch" every time they're shot - including a single bullet from a pistol?

I'm thinking of making them less likely to flinch - that is, have to have more damage in a shot to make them flinch - *if* that makes them behave more like the original game.

Didn't know if the same would be true for the S'pht'krs as well?
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

Actually, all monsters, except the Juggernaut and the Marine, flinch from being shot, punched, roasted, or blown up. This would make them stop attacking completely. So you could, in theory freeze a S'pht in its "Flash, AH AH!!!" pose (I mean attack pose) by punching it in the face repeatedly until it died. I haven't faced many S'pht'krs in the original Infinity scenario (that I can remember...they were normally on your side as it was so I rarely shot them on purpose, unless I was bored.), but I believe they do the shield animation that you already have them doing and stop firing (although their attack is sometimes fast enough to hit you between shots, depends on the difficulty settings from what I remember).

EDIT: Give me a bit and I'll actually test the monsters in-game and get back to you....
EDIT: Er...half the stuff I just posted is kinda vague...I need to be in front of my computer (and more awake...) to get you specific information (I thought I could copy it over from memory...I was partially wrong, I can't really remember the important bits...) I'll try and get info if you still need it later this evening if you still need it...

((Half of this post was made at 6:19 AM in the morning and I've been up since 9 AM the previous day...so if it doesn't make any sense, I'll clarify it later...right now I'm at the point where I find the dumbest things funny...))
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

The only problem with marathon plugins for myth is that they are usually horribly inaccurate - blender devlins, wrong colored spht, health grievances, damage inaccuracy, size inaccuracy.. the list goes on.

As a person who has released 100's (yes hundreds plural) of maps for marathon, and knows not only the game intimiately - but anvil and forge like the back of his hand, the SitH tagset was like a slap in the face.

I had a "fixed" sith tagset which was pretty much my attempt at going around and opening anvil (marathons version of fear) and putting the CORRECT values for damage, health, movement, etc.

I had so many things fixed/improved, Spht actually worked like they do in marathon, so did devlins (no more blender), juggernauts werent so small and retarded, etc..

Even cyborg grenades bounced like they did in marathon (even over uneven surfaces) due to some creative fear-work.

I'll have to give this marathon anywhere a shot sometime and see if it's got some much needed fixes in comparison with SitH.

heck, maybe you and i both saw what needed to be changed, and you just beat me to it? :)

Anyways keep in mind i was only referencing SitH, and ISOYG/Maramyth.

BTW anybody remember Marathon:RED? I have an old abandoned plugin i started where i made ALL of the marathon:RED marines (pasting torsos and legs together). plus TONS of IAN's awesome creepy monsters - the tortoise flame thrower behemoth, the giant spider walker robot, the crazy creepy ghost things that drain health, all of it!

If you ever want my repository of marathon projects (including fixed SitH and RED) i probably wont ever finish them with what i have on my plate right now, so whoever wants them feel free to drop a PM.

Reverof Nohtaram!

-ooga
Baak

Post by Baak »

ooga! :D

I'd love a copy of your marathon project repository!

The main raison d'etre of my Anywhere series is to get people playing the amazing Myth conversions people have poured their hearts into at one time or another. I dove into the Marathon AW plugin after receiving multiple requests over the past several months.

I'm definitely not a Marathon expert, and am currently endeavoring to simplify the best tagset we could find (SitH) while at the same time bringing as much gameplay up-to-speed as possible. This is tricky to say the least but I would say we are "close". I would love to take the excellent work you have done on SitH and incorporate it into the plugin.

I would also be interested in the possibility of a separate Marathon:Red AW plugin if I can get the time over the next several months.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

oogaBooga wrote:The only problem with marathon plugins for myth is that they are usually horribly inaccurate - blender devlins, wrong colored spht, health grievances, damage inaccuracy, size inaccuracy.. the list goes on.
But to make something fun in a different system, don't you sometimes have to modify the original gameplay? I'm not saying that SiTH was perfect, but at least there was some balance in the gameplay.
As a person who has released 100's (yes hundreds plural) of maps for marathon, and knows not only the game intimiately
Your maps are like crack...but people don't seem to play them anymore...which annoys me...
Last edited by Grayswandir on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

oogaBooga wrote: As a person who has released 100's (yes hundreds plural) of maps for marathon
hey, ooga :)

Where are they? I want 'em. Gray said they're good.

I have these 3rd party maps:
Infinity-NetMap Pack v3
SecondQuest v2 (I think that's a map pack)
Crimson_Skies_2, a recent pack of 5 or 6 maps by a guy named Slave. One has a neat waterfall ladder...

So lemme see some of yours, please :)
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

They used to be on fileball.net...which is no longer around. I have some of Ooga's packs on my computer somewhere...I don't think I have all of them anymore (or if I do I don't know what's what...)...nor do I have the original readme's, but I can spot a few of Ooga's packs right now:

Little Old Grannies
Puppies are Cute
EwgaPax

...I know I have more but I can't spot them. I know someone has the entire Fileball.net Marathon map database backed up on DVD, but I don't know if its been uploaded to Simplici7y yet.

EDIT: Also, I have a weird taste in maps (not to say that Ooga's maps are bad in anyway)...This is coming from someone who turned the Shiver level into something about getting revenge for a dead fish on a platter...so you shouldn't always trust my judgement. :p
Last edited by Grayswandir on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Baak

Post by Baak »

I'll likely post an update to the Marathon AW plugin and let people play it for awhile to determine if anything remains that needs to change. As Grayswandir said, the gameplay on Myth is very different.

Expect a full update to the AW Multiplayer Pak either this week (Thu/Fri) or next week. Then I'm out of town for 2-3 weeks which will allow for people to give feedback on remaining issues.

Re: DVD Backups: Always makes me nervous when just one or two people have massive archives and it's not available to the public. Too easy to lose stuff. Would be nice to have it all back up somewhere where people can get to it.