The lost Bungie maps & 1.7

Talk about anything here.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

"Going to Town" is a great map. Played a couple of extemaly cool games on it. IMHO GtT and all other MIA Bungie maps should be added to 1.7

"Going to town" looks a bit unfinished tho - especially when you compare it to M2 training level. Some1 should add all the fruits, vegetables, barrels, hawks and other wild animals etc. etc.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Tireces wrote: "Going to town" looks a bit unfinished tho - especially when you compare it to M2 training level. Some1 should add all the fruits, vegetables, barrels, hawks and other wild animals etc. etc.
I could do that but it would take some effort as it is a two mesh map and the 2nd mesh would need remaking from the first.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Go for it weaver...i would do it myself (we completed Raisin Barn 2)
but im kinda busy with 7 others maps at the moment heh.

-Ren
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

William Wallet wrote:http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images ... 1/ss06.GIF

What about this one!!
That's the lost TFL map
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... umber/1781
It's probably in the early TFL betas if anybody still has those.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

i remember this pic from long ago...what is it from, do we know more about it?

-Ren
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I just remembered seeing it in the Myth Post Mortem and thought I might throw it in the ring in case someone knew more about it.

Probably should've used another thread, but now that I'm here....

Yeah, I wonder if anyone out there still has it? It certainly looks ugly and probably isn't very memorable in terms of layout or gameplay (probably a test mesh, as someone said). Would've been fun to preserve for the sake of preservation, but ah well.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

It kinda looks to me like it shares some of the same kinds of features mudpit has in the NW midd-ish hills near those 2 puddles.

mb it was a proof of concept for the layout of the mudpits hills?

who knows.....this is just speculation on my part, but with that pic it reminds me of mudpit.

-Renwood
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

I've spent some time playtesting Phoenix and I can tell you it is a TOP NOTCH map. Every nook and cranny of it was carefully crafted. I'm extremely impressed with this map.

As for the other two, I haven't had the time to playtest them thoroughly, but just looking at them makes me think I'm going to have fun doing it. We definitely need to include all three of these meshes in 1.7. The real question is how we should include them, not whether we should include them.

Phoenix seems to be fine as it is. However, I think a few changes need to be made to the other maps so they can be updated for today's playing environment. One thing that impresses me a lot about some other netmaps out there is how they take advantage of the five difficulty ratings. For example, some maps have more flags on territories/flag rally in legendary games and less flags in timid games. Phoenix introduces a trow on legendary in Phoenix Falling and the entire game plays like a whole new mesh with that one introduction.

I recommend one light mesh and one dark mesh for each map to keep it simple. Vary the gameplay by adding different units/options/objectives for each difficulty level. One unexplored area is Assassin. The target could change from a baron on timid to a trow on legendary and a whole bunch of neat stuff in between. In King of the Hill, have legendary difficulty produce a king ball instead of a king flag. I'd really like to see a lot of attention paid to flag counts in the varying difficulty levels. Personally I like playing with fewer flags when it's just myself and one or two others playing. With 16 players, though, having a load of flags is a great idea.

Map versatility without unnecessary complexity is the key.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Anthson wrote:... However, I think a few changes need to be made to the other maps so they can be updated for today's playing environment. ...
If there is sufficient time and interest to REALLY playtest any additional meshes that might not be a bad idea, BUT at a minimum I would seriously agree that NOT touching the existing meshes would be the best course of action. even for little things like adding flags or units tied to different difficulty levels those should be part of a completely new mesh.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

Anthson wrote:I've spent some time playtesting Phoenix and I can tell you it is a TOP NOTCH map. Every nook and cranny of it was carefully crafted. I'm extremely impressed with this map.

As for the other two, I haven't had the time to playtest them thoroughly, but just looking at them makes me think I'm going to have fun doing it. We definitely need to include all three of these meshes in 1.7. The real question is how we should include them, not whether we should include them.

Phoenix seems to be fine as it is. However, I think a few changes need to be made to the other maps so they can be updated for today's playing environment. One thing that impresses me a lot about some other netmaps out there is how they take advantage of the five difficulty ratings. For example, some maps have more flags on territories/flag rally in legendary games and less flags in timid games. Phoenix introduces a trow on legendary in Phoenix Falling and the entire game plays like a whole new mesh with that one introduction.

I recommend one light mesh and one dark mesh for each map to keep it simple. Vary the gameplay by adding different units/options/objectives for each difficulty level. One unexplored area is Assassin. The target could change from a baron on timid to a trow on legendary and a whole bunch of neat stuff in between. In King of the Hill, have legendary difficulty produce a king ball instead of a king flag. I'd really like to see a lot of attention paid to flag counts in the varying difficulty levels. Personally I like playing with fewer flags when it's just myself and one or two others playing. With 16 players, though, having a load of flags is a great idea.

Map versatility without unnecessary complexity is the key.
Why don't we edit gimble and trow while we're at it? In fact we could add mega super dwarf rocketeers, that'd make the game way more playable.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

qwerty2 wrote: what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Have you tried " iamanass"?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

In all honesty, these maps are supposed to be "unfinished," right? So finish them. Modernize them a bit. And lay of the hateorade. I'd be happy to not only playtest, but volunteer for some kind of advisory panel to suggest layouts for the maps.
Dio

Post by Dio »

The only thing that 1.7 has to have is invisible wights on the overhead!
The community has gotten too good at watching water....wights need to be invisible on all maps..they are soo slow anyways.
If someone complains about this..they rely too much on the overhead.
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

You can select "Is Invisible On Overhead Map" in monster's tag in Fear, so given unit shouldn't appear on the OH map. I wrote "shouldn't", because I haven't ever tried it at all :wink: